As the weather is cooling down, the soup pot gets full.
Soup is my number one solution to getting rid of the sniffles, or just make your stomach happy. I’m no scientist but my thinking is good food –>happiness–>increased endorphins–>increased immunity and repair of cells–> voila! no sickness or less time spent in bed. Ladies and gentlemen, good food is definitely good for your health.
This hearty soup will warm your body and soul whether you are sick or not.
- 2 cup of split yellow peas
- 3 medium onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1.9 liters of chicken stock unsalted
- 250 g Smoked Toucino Bacon
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- Wash and soak the peas in cold water for at least 2-3 hours. Rinse and drain soaking liquid well before using peas
- Slice the onion into medium sized wedges
- Slice the bacon into 1cm thick slices
- Dice celery into 1cm thick slices
- Place chicken stock into a 4-5 liter stock pot and bring to a boil
- Add all ingredients into the stock pot and mix well and bring to a boil
- Turn heat down to a simmer and simmer for 90 minutes
- Remove the bacon slices from the soup and dice into 1 cm thick chunks and reserve in a bowl for later
- Continue simmering the remainder of soup for an additional 30 minutes
- Turn off the heat for the pot and with a hand blender blend the soup mixture in the pot until smooth and then add back in the sliced and chunked bacon and stir into the soup.
- The soup is now ready to serve
-The Piquey Eater